Sunday, February 21, 2010

set Critical Battery Level in Windows 7

Having recently installed Windows 7 (64-bit), I faced the irritation of Windows 7 not allowing me to drop the Critical Battery Level below 11%. The dialog box allowed me to change the value, but whether I click OK or Apply, my changes did not take effect. The next time I opened power options, the value went back to the default (in my case) of 11%.


Having Google'd extensively, I found quite a few guides on how to use powercfg, as well as others facing the problem, but no exact configuration command line.

I list the command here, with a "quick-and-dirty" explanation of the various portions of this command. You will have to use a Administrator Command Prompt for this command to work.

"powercfg -setdcvalueindex scheme_current sub_battery batlevelcrit 3"

Explanations:

  • "-setdcvalueindex": running on DC power (ie. "On battery")
  • "scheme_current": applies to currently selected power scheme
  • "sub_battery": the battery related sub-group within the power options
  • "batlevelcrit": the critical battery level property
  • "3": 3 %, which is my desired setting. Pls use whatever battery level you prefer to activate your Critical Battery Alarms at.


The following are the other guides I cobbled together the above information from.

  1. Setting Critical Battery Action To “Do Nothing” In Windows 7
  2. Powercfg on Battery Power

No comments: