Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Customizing Windows 7 mp3 infotip to display album, song title

It seems like Windows 7 defaults to not showing song title when hovering over mp3 files to bring up the infotip.

Googling a little got me to Microsoft Knowledge Base 830411, and I found HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\.mp3.


After a little trial-and-error, I found that modifying the "InfoTip" registry key was all it took.

Before change
"InfoTip"="prop:System.ItemType;System.Size;System.Music.Artist;System.Media.Duration;System.OfflineAvailability"


After change
"InfoTip"="prop:System.ItemType;System.Size;System.Title;System.Music.Artist;System.Music.AlbumTitle;System.Media.Duration;System.Audio.EncodingBitrate;System.OfflineAvailability"


Viola! Now I get the song name, the album name, and the bitrate just by hovering my mouse over the mp3.

No comments: