Sunday, January 12, 2014

how to upgrade Dexpot Portable (without rebooting)

I use the portable version of Dexpot, sync'ed across my many computers using SugarSync.

When new versions are released, I will upgrade Dexpot Portable using the following steps:

  1. Download Dexpot Portable
  2. Unzip the download file
  3. Copying the expanded contents into my Dexpot folder, overwriting existing files, EXCEPT FOR the "portable.ini" config file

However, two files often cannot be over-written. These two files are:

  • hooxpot.dll
  • hooxpot64.dll

One possible solution is simple. Restart Windows in Safe Mode and the files will now be over-writable.

However, I find that simply closing the "bigger" apps (and Dexpot of course) is sufficient. In my case, that would be Microsoft Outlook and Google Chrome.

Look out for large programs hiding in the system tray as well. iTunes is one such possibility.



If my article helped you, please leave a comment so that others know that it works.


If it didn't work or is factually inaccurate, do leave a comment as well so that I can do further research or add a caveat.


Thanks!

No comments: